Family

Family

Saturday, December 10, 2011

10 Year Anniversary!

26-28 April 2011

Ben and I celebrated 10 years of marriage on the 27th of April this year! We were in the US at the time. Actually, more like in between the States and Europe as we were traveling back to England from our vacation in California! :)

It was a very long trip back. Yep, two days, just like the heading says. We started off on the 26th and arrived home on the 28th! Yes, there is a time difference but still...
On our last day in CA we had lunch with grandma and cousin Mariah at the "Beachouse" (no, there's no misspelling here, check out the name on the "surfboard" serving as a table :) ).




We then said a teary goodbye to grandma and grandpa and headed for the airport. :(



First stop: Salt Lake City, UT (we had quite a strange itinerary in order to get the cheap tickets: Sacramento - SLC; SLC - Atlanta, GA; Atlanta - London). We intended to meet up with friends living in the area, but that didn't work out as we landed in Salt Lake quite late. We had a 6 hour layover which I didn't want to spend in the airport and I was very determined to take the kids on a walk around Temple Square and the Salt Lake Temple. So we took a cab and 15 minutes and $20 later we arrived at destination. By this time it was 9 pm and there was no soul around. And it was freezing! 42 F (6C!!!) someone said. So we had a quick walk around, snapped some pictures, got back into a taxi and went back to the airport. :)




Our next flight was at 1am and I think we all pretty much slept all the way to Atlanta, where we arrived at 6am, "ready " for an 11 hour layover! Oh, no, not so ready! But we were able to book a cheap hotel room very close to the airport, with free shuttles to destination every few minutes. We had a nice warm breakfast and went to our room for more sleep. :)  At around 3 pm we headed back to the airport, had another meal and finally at 5 pm got on the flight to London. It's so much nicer to travel after having rested - no headaches and sickness this time (unlike the trip to the States; remember a few posts back?) and surprisingly and miraculously Ben and I had some great seats with much more legroom than usual and with no seats behind us, only about 3 feet of empty space before a wall - which made it easier to recline our seats all the way back. It was almost like a miniature business class! :)

After a 2 hour bus ride and a 5 minute train ride we got home at 2 pm on Thursday, the 28th of April, ready for more, a lot more sleep. :)

Happy 10 Year Anniversary!

Since I am so late writing about this, I can tell you that we did eventually have a real celebration in November. More about that hopefully in another post. :)

3 comments:

Ioana said...

Happy 10th anniversary!!!! I still remember that happy day! Such fun memories! And what a LONG trip! Had I known you guys were around, I would've invited you over. Dave and I are still up late at night! And we're only 10 minutes away from Temple Square! Bummer!!!

Maddy S said...

Felicitari si multi inainte. Noi facem 10 pe 29. Ce trece timpul.

Cristina Karekar said...

nice to have you back!! :) Happy belated 10th Anniversary! What a beautiful couple!! And what a long trip, we're well-accustomed with those and although we've been doing them for years, it still doesn't get easier or comfortable, not for me anyway. Multi pupici!!:)