Family

Family

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

12/12/12!!!

It's very late and I'm super tired, BUT, I saw this on Facebook yesterday:

"The moment you realized... 12/12/12/ is the LAST repetitive date you will ever see!"

and I promised myself I would document this day, however boring or uneventful it was. 

I started the day reading D&C 61 on my phone, while eating my cereal, as I do on the days when I work (Tuesdays and Wednesdays); no particular reason for reading that section, I'm reading D&C at the moment, and that's where I had left off the day before.
Getting to my car a little later I couldn't close the trunk after opening it to get the ice scraper out to de-ice the windscreen... I mean it would kind of close, but wouldn't lock and also the doors wouldn't lock from the inside or the outside. I fiddled around the car, went back inside to ask Ben for ideas... in the end I had to just go as it was getting late. The light inside the car would start to flicker every time I came to a complete stop and started again, to "alert" me that something wasn't properly closed. I was able to figure out how to turn it off every time, but it was a bit annoying. I think the problem was that the trunk (like the rest of the car) was frozen and it just wouldn't shut all the way. Anyway, I got to Stratford (Shakespeare's birth place; about 10 miles from Warwick) where I work on Wednesdays, parked at the hospital, but I still couldn't lock the car; so I left it unlocked and hoped for the best.

It was quite an interesting day at work, apart from being exhausting and draining, as it always is. One of the people I saw did not speak much English so an interpreter came along. She had attended a previous appointment without an interpreter, making it extremely difficult for the audiologist who saw her (language barrier AND hard of hearing!). So our department requested an interpreter for today (lucky me), but the lady didn't know. They both came in when I called her in and the interpreter and I started talking to her, but she couldn't hear anything. She kept shaking her head, indicating she couldn't hear. I was shouting happily (as I'm used to doing), but the interpreter was very soft spoken, obviously not used to this kind of stuff. I suggested to the interpreter to write some questions down for the lady. The lady got her glasses, started reading, and... only then realized that the interpreter spoke her language!! Her face lit up, her entire world became so much brighter...AND... we couldn't stop her talking for about 45 minutes!!! I fitted her hearing aid but she couldn't care less, she said she still couldn't hear. I would have loved to understand what she was saying, she was talking about her hard life during WWII, and I think it was fascinating, but all I got was "eczema" and "Red Cross"... :)
There were three people later on that I had to send away because their ears were full of wax, so obviously a hearing test would be futile! People, please read your appointment letters and don't ignore what it says there! There is a reason why we say "please visit your doctor prior to this appointment to ensure your ears are clear of wax"! Sending away 3 people in one day is a lot! And a waste of time and money! But actually one of them was different; did read the letter; did not ignore it; did visit the doctor; yesterday! and was told his ears were clear! What?!? Doctor needs glasses, or a better otoscope, or to revisit some Med School lectures...

I finished with my morning patients early and was eating my lunch (early because I was starving) and  checking my email on my phone. Very important detail, because my phone was on silent and I wouldn't have heard it ring; and while I'm reading my email, the phone alerts me that I have a call from... Ben Felt. I answer and I'm told by my lovely that the time was 12:11 and that in about 30 seconds it was going to be 12:12 on the 12/12/12!!! Yay! When our computer clocks changed to 12:12 we "jumped for joy" and Ben announced me that he was going to literally jump for the next 12 seconds, until 12:12:12; I did a bit of bouncing around the room too. Dorks? Big time! Do I care? Not one bit! :)

My car was still there when I finished work and there was no problem with the locks anymore. Random...

Andrei - had his Christmas play at school. They always do two days, in order to accommodate all the parents; we had seen it yesterday. More about this in a different post (I hope).

Alexandra - announced me as we were having dinner: "Mommy, my tooth fell off at school today." What?!? That tooth had been loose for quite a while; I'm so happy it decided to hang on until this special day! :) (This is her 5th one and it's the left lower lateral incisor; phew, I hope I got that right). Of course I quickly snapped a couple of pictures in front of our Bethlehem calendar (made by my sister-in-law Jen quite a few years ago, before we had the kids. We bring it out every year and the kids love moving Mary and Joseph closer to Bethlehem every day.)


I think I might have to complain to the school though. What, they couldn't find a bigger bag for her tooth?? Lol! The tooth is the little speck of white in the bottom right hand side corner. :)



After dinner I went to our Relief Society Christmas party. I had been asked to play my violin, which I did and totally enjoyed it. I played "Picture a Christmas" from the Children's Song Book and Sue, our RS president, accompanied me on the piano. My lovely friend Gebby took some pictures (and she also made us dinner today! because: 1. she knows I have a hard time on Wednesdays getting home from work drained and having to cook; 2. she is my friend; 3. she is also my visiting teacher; 4. she is just sweet and nice like that!). :)



So there you have it, the most random post in the history of blogging. But documenting our happenings on 12/12/12 - once in a lifetime!

2 comments:

Cristina Karekar said...

Loved it!!! :)

Livia said...

You are such a wonderful person. Loved all your updates and they were lovely to read not boring. And I even smiled reading about you and your husband :)